Founded in 2008, Verod Capital (“The Firm” or “Verod”) is a leading African investment management firm that focuses on high-growth businesses in Anglophone West Africa, particularly Nigeria and Ghana - through its private equity funds - and on early-stage tech-enabled businesses in Nigeria and the rest of Africa - through its venture capital fund (Verod-Kepple Africa Ventures).
Verod’s private equity arm manages over $360 million in assets and has invested in over 20 middle-market high-growth companies across 3 funds. Verod’s private equity funds invest in a range of industries including consumer products and services, education, agriculture, financial and business services with investments ranging from US$10 million to US$25 million. The venture capital fund focuses on investments in FinTech, EdTech, Logistics and HealthTech with investments ranging from US$150,000 to US$7.5 million.
Our competitive edge arises from our unique approach of sourcing opportunities through proprietary research and a deep local network as well as offering hands-on support to partner (portfolio) companies to ensure sustainable and responsible value creation.
The Associate, Partners’ Office role at Verod is an extension of the Partners (Executive Committee or ‘ExCo’). She/he is a highly motivated individual who will work directly with the ExCo to provide strategic support in a one-on-one working relationship in addition to handling special and/or special projects requiring analytical rigour and strong business acumen. The role is dynamic, with two no days the same as you assist with managing and driving our growing organization to achieve its goals.
This role presents a unique opportunity to engage in challenging work in internal strategy, firm building as well as business development for an emerging markets private equity firm. This will comprise assisting the ExCo with on the go analytics/ research assistance through strategic planning, budgeting, scheduling, overseeing special projects to build lasting relationships with numerous internal and external stakeholders including investors and regulators.
She/he will work directly with the ExCo in their interactions with partner companies, target companies, existing and potential partners. The role will occasionally support the Management team with coordinating and agenda-setting for meetings as well as leading projects aimed at firm-building.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Stakeholder management - support in managing key external and internal stakeholders such as investors, Verod's leadership team and partner companies by preparing draft communications, strategic documents, presentations and relevant analysis
- Assist in determining the ExCo’s and the organizational priorities, ensuring that the ExCo's time and schedules reflect the same. Prioritizes critical issues and conducts research to facilitate decision-making
- ExCo Office Management and general support - ensure that the ExCo office is productive and keeping Partners organized with logistics, meetings, emails and to do lists on a daily basis.
- Assess strategic options for the firm’s growth and development while working on special projects for the Partners
- Be in charge of special projects and initiatives from ideation to completion
- Effectively network within the organization, building rapport with the team, and addressing any issues that may arise. As needed, represent the ExCo in meetings to ensure they are able to prioritize responsibilities
- Position Verod as a front runner in advancing the cause of governance, trust and institution building in the sector
This role has been designed to have a duration of 1.5 -2 years, before the incumbent moves on to the next opportunity on their career journey. This could be to complete an MBA or take up a Leadership position within Verod or elsewhere.
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Engineering or related subjects
- At least 2-5 years’ experience in a combination of the following disciplines: consulting, investor relations, corporate development, marketing and communications, preferably within asset management, corporate finance or investment banking (or in an equivalent fast-paced, diverse work environment - we want to know you can thrive in an environment that requires you to multi-task across a wide range of functions and projects). A mix of international and African markets focus would be advantageous
- Experience working with senior leadership
- Experience in project and operational management
- Experience and interest in internal and external communications, partnership development, and fundraising
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point)
- Tech-savvy with ability to learn new tools and concepts quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships with stakeholders, including staff, board members, partner companies and leverage partners to execute and deliver or exceed targets;
- Strong organizational skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail;
- Demonstrated proactive approaches to problem-solving with strong decision-making capability
- Adaptable working style cognizant of situational requirements;
- Highly resourceful team-player, with the ability to also be independent
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and response
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- An entrepreneurial mind-set cognizant of market trends leveraging key innovations and a quick learner of facts;
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions;
- Exceptional integrity, work-ethic and humility across all relationships;
Lagos, Nigeria (frequent travel may be required)
Remuneration package will be highly competitive based on qualification, experience and profile of the candidate.