Founded in 2008, Verod Capital (“The Firm” or “Verod”) is a leading African investment management firm that focuses on high-growth businesses in Anglophone West Africa, particularly Nigeria and Ghana - through its private equity funds - and on early-stage tech-enabled businesses in Nigeria and the rest of Africa - through its venture capital fund (Verod-Kepple Africa Ventures).
Verod’s private equity arm manages over $360 million in assets and has invested in over 20 middle-market high-growth companies across 3 funds. Verod’s private equity funds invest in a range of industries including consumer products and services, education, agriculture, financial and business services with investments ranging from US$10 million to US$25 million. The venture capital fund focuses on investments in FinTech, EdTech, Logistics and HealthTech with investments ranging from US$150,000 to US$7.5 million.
Our competitive edge arises from our unique approach of sourcing opportunities through proprietary research and a deep local network as well as offering hands-on support to partner (portfolio) companies to ensure sustainable and responsible value creation.
Verod’s Investor Relations & Communications (IR & Comms) Executive, is ultimately responsible for the firm’s communication and public relations. This role will report to the Head, Investor Relations & Communications and will be responsible for leading the strategy development and execution of the communications plan across the business.
This is an opportunity for a candidate with strong experience across both internal and external communications to join a fast-growing emerging markets investment firm. The role will require a concise yet engaging approach to delivering messages to multiple stakeholders. She/he is a strategic thinker with strong attention to detail, with a track record of media planning, copywriting, content management and ability to forge relationships across a diverse team.
The role will focus on developing and delivering an engaging stakeholder communications plan, to include investor, portfolio companies and client communications, marketing communications and media relations. She/he will work with third party media outlets to connect with potential customers, investors, and other stakeholders. The successful candidate will be a results-driven and accountable individual, adept at multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment. This person must be a strong collaborator, and able to drive the Verod values.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with the Head of IR & Comms to ensure implementation of a strong global communications plan, budget and strategy for execution
- Be a strong consultant to the Management team and support business leaders across our portfolio for communications needs
- Lead on appropriate positioning of the firm as part of the communication strategy and content, ensuring consistency and ‘one voice’ across internal and external communications
- Develop social media presence and strategy for execution across various media platforms such as the company Website, LinkedIn and Twitter
- Write thought pieces to position the firm as a thought leader in the space
- Manage and co-produce website, newsletters, story-coverages about partner companies
- Support the ExCo and other Management Team/Colleagues with preparation and participation in conferences, panels, business publications other external representation of the firm
- Responsible for all internal and external communications regarding the Verod Foundation and partner events
- Support portfolio companies with communications as the need arises
- University Degree in Business, Communications, Marketing, Journalism or English
- At least 3 - 5 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent copy writing skills. Able to write text for diverse media outlets, examples of published text necessary
- Ability to collaborate with the Head, Investor Relations, aligning around a shared vision for the firm and shaping the communication strategy in support of the Fund’s and Partner Companies
- External communications experience to include experience in raising brand profile, eg. through elevated social media presence, website redesign management across multiple platforms
- Basic and working knowledge of technical tools for basic creative design work (e.g. InDesign, Photoshop), social media management and marketing, and website content management
- Experience in creating thought leadership content across various sectors particularly in the tech space
- Must be creative, agile and adept in building relationships with internal and external stakeholders and leverage multiple resources to meet the firm’s objectives
- Evidence of ability to manage external consultants/agencies to execute on a strategy and deliver timely high quality projects
- Knowledge of PE or VC Investing preferred but not essential
- A self-starter with relationship building, influencing and leadership skills
- Logical thinking and analytical mindset
- Able to work collaboratively with peers and colleagues at all levels to execute and deliver or exceed expectations/targets
- A strong and clear communicator who can effectively engage with various levels of stakeholders
- A creative but strategic thinker who holds expertise in balancing both aspects
- Resilient yet flexible approach, is able to encompass multiple competing demands with proven ability to manage multiple stakeholders and maintain a single version of communication to all
- Adaptable working style cognizant of situational requirements
- Exceptional integrity and work-ethic, seeks to embed this in all relationships
- Sets and drives an exceptional standard of practices for self and the business
- Aligned with Verod values - delivering value, impact & excellence
Lagos, Nigeria/ Accra, Ghana (frequent travel may be required)
Remuneration package will be highly competitive based on qualification, experience and profile of the candidate.